Front Page: Traficom
Front Page: Traficom

Car tax for an upgraded moped or light quadricycle

Car tax does not need to be paid for mopeds or light quadricycles.

Your vehicle is considered to be a motorcycle / heavy quadricycle if it is upgraded so that the structure of the vehicle has been changed and its speed (over 45 kilometres per hour) exceeds the highest design speed provided in legislation.

In such cases, car tax must be paid for the vehicle.

The Police reports to Traficom about upgraded vehicles, after which a request for information is sent to the vehicle’s owner.  

Car tax is normally paid by the person owning the vehicle at the time when Traficom received information about the upgrade.  

The car tax for an upgraded vehicle is determined based on the tax percentage derived from an equivalent used car’s general taxable retail value and cylinder capacity.