Usually, the registration and insuring of a new vehicle is completed at the car dealership. If you buy a vehicle from a reseller who will not register the vehicle, you may perform the first-time registration in the Traficom's e-Services , in your insurance company’s online service or at an inspection station authorised to perform registrations .
The following requirements apply to the first-time registration of a vehicle:
- The vehicle has passed its registration inspection, or a pre-registration certificate or single approval certificate valid for registration has been granted for the vehicle
- The vehicle complies with all valid Finnish requirements
- A certificate of destruction as specified in section 18 I of the Waste Act has not been issued for the vehicle
- Documentation for the payment of all taxes and other fees regarding the vehicle is submitted
- A report on the vehicle’s ownership and holder is submitted
- The vehicle is covered by a motor liability insurance policy
Taxes or other payments pertaining to the import, manufacture or delivery of a vehicle imported by an importer registered according to section 39 of the Car Tax Act (External link) do not need to be reported.
The Traficom CompareCars service can help you in choosing a new vehicle.