Apply for your first driving licence using My e-Services
First driving licence
This service is used to grant a driving licence permit valid for 3 years. After you have been granted a permit, you can book a time for taking a driving examination. The permit must be valid when you take the driving examination tests.
Please note that you can hold only one valid driving licence permit at a time. Any new driving licence permits you apply for will replace your currently valid permit. Keep this in mind when using the e-Services to select driving licence categories.
You can apply for the first driving licence using Traficom's e-Services if you have no previous driving licence in Finland or abroad and you meet the criteria for using the service.
You will get later the results of the driving examination tests you have taken by e-mail if you enter your e-mail address in the Personal information section of Traficom's My e-Services. Submit your e-mail address before you start using the First driving licence service.
If you already have a driving licence and would like to upgrade it or renew your driving licence after it has expired, familiarise yourself with Traficom's other e-Services for driving licences.
Ordering, payment and completing a driving examination, posting of the licence
Pay for your order (20 e). After you have paid, you must book a date and time for taking the driving examination tests with Traficom's service provider, Ajovarma. The permit must be valid at this time. A separate fee is charged for taking the tests
The driving licence will arrive at your home address within four working days of passing the driving examination.
General requirements for using the service
- You have not been previously granted a driving licence in Finland or abroad
- You are not under an obligation to use an alcohol interlock when driving
- You are not banned from driving
- For the purpose of applying for a driving licence, your photograph and up-to-date signature are available in electronic format in a register kept by the authorities. You will see the available photograph and signature after you have logged into the service. Your facial photograph and signature will be available in the service if you have a valid passport or personal identity card
- By using this e-service, you are giving your permission for Traficom's to use on your driving licence the image and signature contained in Traficom's image register or in the police passport photo register.
- Your permanent address is in mainland Finland.
- Driving licences will be sent to the customer's official address in mainland Finland, as stated in the population information system. If your address details are incorrect, please update them before paying for the service, using the Notification of change of address service of Post and Digital and Population Data Services Agency at www.posti.fi/changeaddress
- You can log into the service using online bank identifiers or mobile recognition.