Upgrade your driving licence using e-Services.
Upgrading a driving licence
Use this service to upgrade your right to drive and add new categories to your valid driving licence. Upgrading a driving licence using Traficom's e-Services is possible for those who already have a driving licence and who fulfil the other requirements for using the service.
NB! If you would also like renew your right to drive when upgrading it, please contact an Ajovarma service point.
Use this service to upgrade your right to drive and add new categories to your valid driving licence. Upgrading a driving licence using Traficom's e-Services is possible for those who already have a driving licence and who fulfil the other requirements for using the service. Read more below about the requirements for using the service with respect to different categories of driving licence. If you are unable to upgrade your licence electronically, you can have it upgraded at Traficom's service provider, Ajovarma Oy.
If you meet the requirements for upgrading your driving licence, you will be issued a driving licence permit that is valid for three years. The driving examination theory test, driving test, and possible handling test must be taken within this three-year period. A separate fee is charged for taking the tests.
If you have not yet added your email address to My e-Services contact details, you can add it to the Personal information section once you have logged in to the service. The results of the driving examination will be sent to the email address you provided.
Ordering, payment and posting of the licence
Pay for your order (20 e). After you have paid, you must book a date and time for taking the driving examination tests with Traficom's service provider, Ajovarma.
The driving licence will arrive at your home address within four working days of passing the driving examination.
General requirements for using the service
- Your latest right to drive is valid and you are not banned from driving
- You do not hold a driving licence issued in another EU or EEA country
- You are not under an obligation to use an alcohol interlock when driving
- For the purpose of upgrading your driving licence, your photograph and up-to-date signature are available in electronic format in a register kept by the authorities. By submitting your application for the driving licence via the electronic service, you are giving your permission for Traficom to use the image and signature on your driving licence displayed in the e-Services contained in Traficom's image register or in the passport photo register. Your photograph and signature will be available if
- you hold a valid passport or personal identity card, or you provided a photograph and specimen signature for a driving licence, driver card, professional competence card, ADR licence or a taxi driver licence in 2013 or later.
- Your permanent address is in mainland Finland. Driving licences will be sent to the customer's official address in Finland, as stated in the population information system. If your address details are incorrect, please update them before paying, using the Notification of change of address service of Post and Digital and Population Data Services Agency at https://www.posti.fi/changeaddress (External link)
- You can log into the service using online bank identifiers or mobile recognition.
- You can upgrade your right to drive to category B96 only at an Ajovarma service point.
- Upgrading your driving licence using Traficom’s e-Services is only possible by taking a driving examination.
- Using the e-Services, you can upgrade your right to drive a motorcycle, for example, only by completing the whole driving examination (theory test, handling test and driving test).
- You can upgrade a category A1 or A2 right to drive to the higher category A only at Ajovarma (in which case this service cannot be used), if the right to drive is upgraded
- by completing driving instruction (you are required to complete at least 2 lessons of theory instruction and 5 lessons of driving instruction and submit the certificate you receive after you have completed the lessons to Ajovarma together with the application). You may not apply for a driving licence permit until you have had a category A1 or A2 right to drive for at least 2 years, or
- by completing category A handling test and driving test (+ 2 years’ driving experience). Read more here (External link)
- If your driving licence is about to expire within the next 6 months and you would like to both renew the licence and upgrade it to cover new categories, please visit an Ajovarma service point.