Bulletin for aviation maintenance personnel: Exemption from Part-66 licenses during the Corona virus pandemic
On account of the Corona virus pandemic, the Transport and Communications Agency Trafi-com issued a decision on the renewal of the licenses of aviation maintenance personnel.
In accordance with the EU Directive (EU) No 2018/1139 article 71 (1), Trafi has issued a decision which provides for exemption from certain provisions laid down in the EU Regulations (EU) No 1178/2011, (EU) No 965/2012, (EU) 2015/340 and (EU) 1321/2014, to be in force between 23 March 2020 and 23 November 2020.
One exception are the licenses of maintenance personnel and their validity, provided for in Part-66 of the EU Regulation (EU) 1321/2014 on aircraft mechanics.
Instructions for maintenance organisations and Part-66 license holders on the renewal of their licenses
In the event that the Part-66 license of a maintenance mechanic expires by 31 July 2020, Traficom recommends that the mechanic take primarily the following steps:
- Part-66 license renewals can be normally applied for using Traficom's electronic services. For instructions, click here. (External link)
- You can submit your application 3 months before the expiry date of the license, in which case the license will be extended for 5 years from the date of expiry date of the previous license.
- If you apply for a license more than 3 months before its expiry date, the license will be extended for 5 years from the issue date.
- After the submission of the application, the old license will be valid for 4 months under the exemption from the date entered in the exemption.
- Traficom will process your license application according to the agency’s normal application process and sends the new license.
If the license expires by 31 July 2020, and the holder of a Part-66 license does not have the opportunity of applying for a license renewal, the old license will be deemed to be valid under an exemption for 4 months after the expiry date entered in the license.
If circumstances require so, the validity may be extended for another 4 months but not beyond 23 November 2020. Traficom will provide separate information on this matter.
If necessary, you can ask the responsible inspector assigned to your organisation for additional instructions.
By email lupakirjat(at)traficom.fi