Front Page: Traficom
Front Page: Traficom

With a balloon pilot licence (BPL), you can fly solo with a hot-air balloon. Once you have gathered sufficient experience, you can also carry passengers.

National balloon pilot licences (BPL) must be replaced with EASA licences (BPL) by 8 April 2021. If you hold a national licence, you must apply to Traficom to have it converted into an EASA licence. After 8 April 2021, the national BPL only entitles you to fly aircraft that fall outside the scope of EASA regulation. These aircraft are referred to as Annex I aircraft.

How to obtain a balloon pilot licence:


Age requirement

When you apply for the licence at Traficom, you must be at least 16 years old.



The training includes theoretical knowledge and flight instruction.

Contact us

Notices and instructions concerning personnel licences within aviation