‘Turning Finland into the world leader in communications networks – Digital infrastructure strategy 2025’ (External link) published in 2018 describes how to ensure access to advanced electronic services for the entire society. The strategy contains measures for promoting the implementation of 5G.
The development of 5G networks makes users’ connections faster, serves as a platform, as well as enables efficient and faster communications connections for new services, such as AI applications. The developing digital infrastructure supports the utilisation of automation, robotisation and the real-time data economy, thereby promoting the development of, among other things, the next stages of healthcare, media, education and transport.
Benefits of 5G
- A tenfold increase in the speed of wireless broadband, 500 Mbps - 1Gbps becomes available for ordinary users.
- Internet of Things (IoT): a huge number of IoT devices can be connected to the internet, including affordable sensors with batteries that last for up to 10 years.
- Reliability and very low latency enable remote controlling and automation, for instance.
- An online service can be tailored for its purpose of use: reliability may outweigh speed.
The 5G frequencies in the 3.5 GHz frequency band were auctioned in 2018, and commercial 5G activities began in 2019. This spectrum auction was a concrete step towards the most advanced digital society in the world. The 26 GHz frequency band, intended for use by 5G networks, will be auctioned in summer 2020.
5G information packages
- 5G Momentum presentation
- Funding opportunities for 5G pilots and experiments, Business Finland, Finnvera, IoT Forge Foundation
- Summary report on 5G cyber security (in finnish)
- 5G progress monitoring in EU countries
- Presentations on ecosystems for 5G cooperation
- 5G Podcasts (in finnish). The Suomi liikkeessä podcast presents a series of episodes on 5G, exploring what the high capacity, fast connections and low latency of 5G communications networks mean for both businesses and consumers. The podcast asks the question of how 5G will change entertainment, media, transport, health technology, smart cities, and industry. The series on 5G will be available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Links also posted on Traficom's website (External link). Episode release dates and links:
- 2 April 5G muuttaa maailmaa (External link)
- 15 April 5G muuttaa mediaa ja viihdettä
- 29 April 5G muuttaa kaupunkeja
- 13 May 5G muuttaa liikennettä
- 27 May 5G muuttaa teollisuutta
- 10 June 5G muuttaa terveydenhoitoa