Data maintained by the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom is licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0. By licence with the exception of certain hydrographic data, which is licensed under a separate hydrographic data licence. Creative Commons 4.0. By is a licence for public authorities’ open data in accordance with JHS recommendation 189. It gives the right to copy, modify and distribute the data in its original or in modified form. The data may also be combined with other data and used for both commercial and non-commercial purposes.
Creative Commons 4.0 By requires that you attribute the work in the manner specified by the author of the data.
Creative Commons 4.0 By requires that you attribute the work in the manner specified by the author of the data. In practice this means that you must give appropriate credit to the authors of the data or other persons or entities specified in the licence when distributing licensed data. Such information may include e.g. a pseudonym or trademark in addition to or instead of a name.
Traficom requires that the following attribution practices are followed
• The copyright notice of the material must be preserved as specified in the licence. The copyright notice may also include the publishing date and version number of the material, the publisher’s name and other data that is required for identification of the material.
• Typical warranties, disclaimers and limitations of liability must be preserved as specified in the licence. If technically possible, the material must include a hyperlink to the website on which the original material can be found.
• If the material has been modified, it must be accompanied by a notice describing the modification and a hyperlink to the website on which the original material can be found.
• The material must be accompanied by an indication that the material is licensed under the Creative Commons 4.0 By licence as well as a hyperlink to the licence.
Traficom may at any time request that the attribution and copyright information be removed to the extent reasonably practicable.
Using open data material as part of a printed publication. The material used in the publication must be accompanied by the following statement:
Source: Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom. This material was downloaded from Traficom’s Viewing and Download Service on 1 January 2020 under the CC 4.0 BY licence.
For more information on attribution, see the Creative Commons website.
Old licences and their application
Licences that were in use until 2019 (before the reform of the administrative branch of the Ministry of Transport and Communications) by the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency (previously Finnish Transport Agency) are still valid as regards downloaded material to which they applied at the time of download
Limited Hydrographic Data Licence
The Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom’s hydrographic data licence
The Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom (hereinafter the Licensor) as the holder of the incorporeal rights, has granted a licence to use a copy of the data or part thereof (hereinafter data) on the terms and conditions mentioned below.
A Licensee is a natural or legal person, who uses the data covered by the licence. The Licensee accepts the terms and conditions of this licence by receiving the data covered by the licence.
This licence agreement does not create a cooperation or business relationship between the Licensee and Licensor.
Terms and conditions of the licence
Right of use
This licence grants a worldwide and free-of-charge parallel right of use. According to the terms and conditions of the licence, data received by the Licensor can, for other than navigational purposes, be freely
- copied, distributed and published,
- modified and utilised non-commercially,
- combined with other products and
- used as part of an application or service.
Navigational purposes refer to all maritime operations, including route planning, positioning, determining the best course and ensuring the vessel's safe passage.
Duties and responsibilities of the Licensee
When distributing the data or a product or service including or utilising all or part of the data, the Licensee must, in a way and to an extent reasonably practicable with regard to the distribution medium or method in question, ensure that:
- The name of the Licensor, the name of the dataset in question and the time of the data transfer are mentioned. For example: “Contains information from the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency’s nautical chart database 06/2020”.
- a copy of this licence or a link to it is included, and
- the name of the Licensor is not mentioned in connection with the product or service, if the Licensor requests its omission.
The Licensee must not in connection with the data that is being used indicate that the Licensor supports or recommends using the data in the way or for the purpose in question.
Duties and responsibilities of the Licensor
The Licensor is responsible for
- ensuring that the Licensor has the right to transfer the rights to the data covered by this licence.
The data has been licensed "as is", and the Licensor
- shall not be held responsible for any errors or omissions in the data, or any inconsistencies or discontinuities between the vertical coordinate reference systems used therein, disclaims any warranty for the validity or up-to-date status of the data and shall be free from liability for direct or consequential damages arising from the use of data provided by the Licensor,
- and is not obliged to ensure the continuous availability of the data, nor to announce in advance the interruption or cessation of availability, and the licensor shall be free from liability for direct or consequential damages arising from any such interruption or cessation.
Finnish law shall apply to this licence.
Amendments to this licence
The Licensor may at any time change the terms and conditions of the licence or apply a different licence to the material. The terms and conditions in this licence shall, however, continue to apply to such data that has been transferred prior to the amendments to the terms and conditions or the change of the licence.